ELECTION 2020 SERIES - ABORTION
Front-Line Item For the practicing & voting Christian abortion must be a top issue. The Bible is full of evidence that God stands staunchly on the side of life, and life abundantly. All pragmatic, political arguments that are used to explain this away or compromise on this one fact are extremely dangerous. Here are some facts & figures both about the progress made and the challenges remaining with abortion in America.
Facts & Stats
- There is actually a path to the repeal of Roe v. Wade. Amazingly, with 187 federal judge appointees, including two supreme court picks, the current administration has put judges in place that would consider life in the womb as a constitutional right. Legal precedent is not on the side of outlawing abortion, since Roe v. Wade was confirmed by the Supreme Court, but the law and constitution of course are.
- Young people, Millennials and Gen Z namely, are trending toward pro-life stances. A recent Rasmussen poll shows that Americans in the 18-29 age bracket are the most likely of any American group to oppose abortion.
- The abortion rate (# of abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44) has ticked down over the last 30 years, gradually receding from about 27 in 1989 to 13.5 in 2017. This is great news! However, a factor that must be considered in light of this news is that there are many fewer women aged 15-44 in the U.S. due to abortions in years prior.
- Several states have made aggressive moves to further restrict abortions. These states, which aim to limit abortion at a range of points during pregnancy have had some success, although several pieces of legislation have been blocked by federal judges.
- We have an unashamedly pro-life president who does not seem intimidated by the abortion industry. President Trump was the first ever president to speak at the annual March for Life, a speech in which he made clear that he and his administration intend to continue fighting unrestricted abortion.
- Abortion, since the decision of Roe v. Wade in 1973, has claimed the lives of about 61 million babies, or roughly 19% of our current American population, or the entire population of Italy.
- There has been a movement to actually make abortion less restrictive, including abortion up to the point of " viability," or the state in which an infant can survive outside of the womb, and even up to the very moment of birth, most recently. Virginia's Governor, Ralph Northam, has even expressed his support for "aborting" children after the moment of birth.
- Although great strides have been taken to limit funding and support to abortion providers, they are still federally and privately funded, and they still carry a powerful lobby in Washington.
- Planned Parenthood, America's leader in babies aborted (34%, about 321,000 in 2016), has pledged $45 Million dollars to elect democrats in battleground states in the year 2020.
- 20 states (including New York) have legalized abortion through the stage of viability (or the state in which an infant can live outside of the womb) and one state, Virginia, whose senate and house of representatives are both controlled by democrats, have made it legal to abort a baby up to the moment of full-term birth.
“They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to false gods. 38 They shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan, and the land was desecrated by their blood. 39 They defiled themselves by what they did; by their deeds they prostituted themselves. 40 Therefore the Lord was angry with his people and abhorred his inheritance. 41 He gave them into the hands of the nations, and their foes ruled over them. 42 Their enemies oppressed them and subjected them to their power.” PSALM 106:37-42
Other scripture references on life/abortion: Jeremiah 1:5 – Exodus 1:15-22, Matthew 2:16-18 – Ephesians 1:4 – John 10:10 – Genesis 9:5
The Democratic Position on Abortion: “every woman should have access to… safe & legal abortionregardless of where she lives, how much money she makes…believe that safe abortion must be… included as part of America’s health programming.” Democratic Party Platform
The Republican Position on Abortion: “All are endowed by their Creator with the inalienable right to life… we assert the sanctity of human life and…that the unborn child has a fundamental right to life which cannot be infringed. We support a human life amendment to the Constitution.” Republican Party Platform
-JF D'Orsie - Communications Director